Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Trader Joe's Tuesday

rice rolls
 
 
 
i'm a sucker for the "new arrivals" end cap at my Trader Joe's
you can count on me stocking up on anything new
and anything the sample lady is selling
 
 
these were just okay
sort of a cross between a rice cake and one of those sweet kashi cereals
i wouldn't buy them again, but they weren't awful
 
 
 
lemon curd crumpets
 
 
these have become a household favorite
a shmear of lemon curd is our favorite
but you could do jam, honey, and even peppper jelly
 
 
 
 
 rice-a-roni
 
 
 my sample lady hates when i assign brand names to Trader Joe's products
"no, those are not pop tarts. those are Trader Joe's all natural toaster pastries"
alrighty then, tastes like an expensive pop tart to me!
i digress. this "rice orzo pilaf mix" is an awful lot like rice-a-roni
but so much freaking better
i like to use 1 cup water, 1 cup chicken broth instead of the 2 cups of water the box directions call for. and if i'm really feeling crazy i use 2 cups of chicken broth instead of water
(especially when i'm using homemade broth which can be a little bland compared to store bought)
 
 
pull-apart dinner rolls
 
 
last night i made chicken pie and i served it with trader joe's "rice-a-roni", fresh sweet peas, and these rolls. since chicken pie has a biscuit topping i hadn't considered serving bread with this meal
but as i was pouring a glass of wine i caught CJ using one of these pull-apart rolls to sop up his plate
i was about to make a smart ass comment but my watering mouth wouldn't let me
these would be perfect for Thanksgiving or with any meal that leaves behind a yummy gravy mess on your plate. which includes exactly nothing that i should be eating anytime soon


2 comments:

  1. TJ's has such fancy foods. Utah is getting one and although it will be 2 hours from me, I'm excited to check it out when I visit the city. Also, I'm now really hungry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom had gotten something similar to the rice rolls, I never tasted them but the babies liked them ;) We so wish we still had a TJs close to us!

    ReplyDelete