Tuesday, November 6, 2012

on love and loss

i had the announcement all planned out
we were going to send out a Christmas card with a picture of SG wearing a "Big Sister" shirt
i couldn't wait to order that shirt. to take that picture. to see our families faces.
my little girl was going to be a big sister. the best  big sister. besides her mama
 
 
i don't know how to sugar coat it
the truth is, when i found out i was pregnant with SG, i was devastated
i blamed my reaction on the fact that i was about to start a brand new job. my dream job
and now i'd have to tell my bosses that i was expecting a baby
 that the person they hired no longer existed
she disappeared the minute that bright blue line popped up. we'd been married 11 months when i found out i was pregnant the first time. we both had good jobs. we'd been together 6 years. we were happily married. so i should have been excited, but i wasn't. i lost 19lbs my first trimester because all i did was cry. i was too upset to eat. and i have never felt so alone.
i know now that my reaction had nothing to do with that dream job and everything to do with me.
i was terrified.
my grandparents raised me because my mother couldn't. or wouldn't.
and during my entire pregnancy i was afraid that i wouldn't be a good mom. that i wouldn't know how to be a good mom. that i'd want to drop the baby off at the nearest fire station, and run away.
 i was pregnant for 41 weeks and i never once felt ready for the baby to come.
 
 
ready or not she finally came, a week late, on her daddy's birthday
and those first few days were really hard
but i fell in love with my little girl. and i fell hard
 
 
so this time. this most recent time. was different.
when this test was positive i got to give my husband the reaction he'd always wanted
and i meant it. i was so excited this time
because this time i knew how much i could love my child. my children
my daughter has taught me that i am capable of love beyond measure
she healed my broken heart and restored my belief in a mother's love
and i want to give her a sibling. because no matter what doubts i have ever had about a parents love i have always known how important siblings are. i am the oldest of four kids and i don't know what i would do without my sisters. and i want that for my daughter.
 she is enough for me but i worry that i might not always be enough for her
 
 
 it all went wrong pretty quickly
and i was at a crowded concert so there wasn't much time to react
i have cried a million tears. i have asked God why. and i have listened to the quiet
enjoy this little girl you have. appreciate this time you have with her. with just her

 
so that's what i've been doing
enjoying my little girl
and that's what i will continue to do
and i will trust in God's plan because even when i thought i wasn't ready to become a mother He knew i was. He knew that a chubby little 8lb baby girl was exactly what i needed to make myself whole and His timing was better than anything i could have ever planned myself


24 comments:

  1. So sorry darling. Hate to hear this. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry this happened to you.
    You're right about God's plan...you've been blessed in more ways than one. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry, friend. So, very sorry. Xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh friend. I am so sorry. So sorry. I hate that you lost that sweet baby. I am praying for peace as you go through these days ahead. I've been there and here if you need to talk it out. Hugs to you!'

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry, my heart aches for you:(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh mama.. Praying for peace and comfort for you. This just hurts my heart. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so so sorry. Praying for you and sending you love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Meme. My heart is broken for you. I am so sorry you're going through this. I wish I could give you a big 'ol hug right now. If you need to talk, I'm here. I'll be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry for your loss, but this is so beautiful. You have grown so much since first finding out you were pregnant to this day. Isn't it amazing to look back at your story and see how much loving another person has changed you? I too was not entirely thrilled to be pregnant when I found out and though I was very excited during my pregnant those first few weeks after he was born were killer and I MANY times doubted myself and what I had done, and now I see that it was all just apart of the process. The process of falling in love with him, in loving myself and realizing the great capability I have as his mother. Again, I am so sorry for your loss!

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of the worst feelings in the world. I know it all too well. So glad you have your baby girl to hold as you mourn the loss of the baby you can't hold. Congrats on being such a wonderful mama to SG. She is a doll!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My heart is hurting for you. Thank you for sharing your story & allowing all of us to be here for you. And we are, here for you. Showering you & your family in prayer & love! Give SG a big hug & know that maybe she just needed a little more time with you. More will come in His time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. love you so much. I am so sorry for the heart ache you've endured... you are fabulously strong and beautiful. prayers and hugs to you and CJ and SG.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so sorry. Hear for you if you need a shoulder.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing my dearest friend. You'll never know how truly happy I am to see you whole. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Mama :(

    You sound like such a wonderful person and an awesome Mommy. This post has so much emotion, Thank You for sharing. I will be praying for your Mommy heart to heal.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a great post. I'm so so sorry for your loss. Enjoy that gorgeous girl of yours in the mean time. You're an awesome mom!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so very, very sorry for your loss.

    You are enough, by the way, though I completely understand the feeling having had a similar grandparent / mother experience growing up. We'll figure it out, one day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh friend. My mother is rarely in my life (her choice at first and now mine) and I struggle daily with the idea that I will be like her. I love hearing about your wonderful love and relationship you have with your precious child and my heart aches for your loss. Sending lots of love and peace your way.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So so sorry to hear of your loss Meme. You are a wonderful mother that any child would die to have, especially your sweet SG. Praying for you. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a beautiful and honest post! I get it... Going through the same myself. Many hugs!

    ReplyDelete